Meet the Staff
of Diversified Marine
A year round full time staff of experienced craftsman perform all repair services in-house.
Employees are selected for their specific marine skills and knowledge and are continuously educated and trained within the maritime industry. Diversified Marine Services Inc. is dedicated to providing professional yacht services throughout the Annapolis and Chesapeake Bay areas. Each technician works closely with yacht owners to assure that every detail of the job order is completed to USCG and ABYC standards. Customer satisfaction is our number one priority.
Skilled areas include: Plumbing, electrical, electronics, mechanical, structural, yacht carpentry, application of industrial coatings and yacht maintenance.Robert Sola
Prior to leading Diversified Marine Services, Rob had 16 years of experience between Baltimore Aircoil Company and American Sugar Refining where he developed his skills across a wide variety of roles. From entry level Engineer to senior leadership as a Global Vice President and experience working in virtually every function of an organization, he has gained a great deal of business savvy. Rob’s expertise is in strategy, team development and process improvement. His key accomplishments have been in the areas of improved service, quality, safety and delivery times. Rob lives with his wife Christine, daughter Emily and son Evan in Annapolis. Growing up on Long Island, he has been sailing since he was a child and is thrilled to be working in the marine industry.
Born and raised into a military family my residency changed quite frequently, from Annapolis to Paris France, Camp Pendleton, CA, Quantico, VA and back to Annapolis.
I became interested in the marine industry during my junior year at Annapolis High School. After attending both private and public schools, I started working at various marinas from Baltimore, Washington DC, Eastern Shore to Annapolis.
My marine experience literally started from the bottom up – sanding, painting, cleaning and gradually progressed into the technical aspects of marine repair: electrical, mechanical, electronics and underwater maintenance.
I established my first local marine service business in 1981 which was located at Bert Jabin Yacht Yard. I then moved onto a new marine business venture in 1991 opening “Diversified Marine Services Inc. and Annapolis Diving Contractors”. As of early 2009, “Annapolis Diving Contractors” was sold to focus on the growth and development of Diversified Marine Services, Inc.
Although we are in a economic recession, Diversified Marine Services Inc. continues to educate our full time staff, hire highly skilled technicians that are out of work, increase tooling and add new service vehicles to the fleet.
Our personnel include ABYC certified technicians, Raymarine factory trained technicians, boat builders, Awlgrip applicators, Mechanical-Electrical engineers, carpenters, fiberglass and gel coat specialists. From spring commissioning, to winterization, to a complete yacht restoration and re-fit, Diversified Marine Services, Inc. will be happy to provide you with all your yacht maintenance and repair needs.
Our goal is to bring affordable marine repairs, installations and restoration to the Annapolis area while maintaining the highest degree of skill, experience and professionalism.
Plan, organize, schedule and execute our sales and service staff to achieve superior results for each job request with-in a pre-determined time line. Organize local service meetings, customer appreciation events and other marketing tools in conjunction with vendor participation to reach or exceed annual projections. Work with social media, web designers, ad agencies and personal client contacts to ensure proper market coverage. Purchase and maintain vehicles, equipment, tooling and materials to ensure the highest level of service. Finance the education and certification of each staff member in their area of interest and expertise to stay current with an ever changing maritime industry in technology, tooling, approved practices and standards. Assist the field level managers and staff members on the day to day operations of delivering professional – personalized services to the Annapolis and surrounding market.
Should you have any questions, you can contact me at the main office phone number of 443-717-3081 or e-mail me at email@example.com.
I was born and raised on a beautiful farm in Crownsville, MD and having grown up in the Annapolis area, I fell in love with boats at a very early age. I loved boats of all shapes and sizes. I can remember many summer days on the Severn river watching all the many different types of boats come and go. No doubt about it… I was hooked to the lure of boating from the very first time I stepped into an old wooden row boat and we pushed off the beach.
During my college years I bounced back and forth between Marine Biology and Art, two very different educational paths. I was taking courses at both AACC and UMBC when I decided to get into graphic design. It was great because it allowed me to use my creativity but I have always worked with my hands and sitting in front of a computer was not where I wanted to be in life.
After about 4 years I decided to make a change and took a job with Performance Cruising in Annapolis in March of 2000. In the ten and a half years that I worked there, I learned many things about the construction of boats. I was fortunate enough to work very closely with the designer of the Gemini Catamaran. I spent time learning how to build molds, how to lay-up fiberglass, wood working, installing electrical and plumbing systems, trouble shooting, gel coat repair and even a little bit of designing and building of my own. The last 6 years of my time with PCI were spent training new employees, developing new procedures, managing the production schedule as well as research & development.
I am extremely grateful for the experiences I’ve had, as they have given me a very strong background and understanding in boat construction, systems and design.
I am very excited to be starting a new chapter in my life with Diversified Marine Services! As the name implies, the “Diversity” of work that comes with my new career at Diversified is a welcome challenge and one that I look forward to jumping into. I’m excited to learn new skills as well as bring my own set of skills and experience to the table in order to provide the very highest quality of work and service to our clients.
Born and raised in Butler, Pennsylvania, Cheri migrated to the maritime industry after attending Slippery Rock College and then working for US Airways for eighteen years.
Cheri operates and maintains the shop office located at Bert Jabin yacht yard.
Responsibilities include data entry, material pick up, communication and banking. Cheri enjoys interacting with our clients, vendors and technicians and would be happy to assist you in any way she can.
Cheri has four children, “Zeke”, a 100 lb black lab mix, “Kendal B. Jackson”, a 70 lb Golden retriever, “Bo”, a 17 lb cat and “Panther”, a problem child. As of this posting, “Zeke” has passed on and now in his memory Cheri is raising and training a new addition to our family, “Bailey”, a Golden Doodle.
Cheri can be reached at the office on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 10:30 to 5:00.
The shop office phone number is 410.263.0060 or the main office phone number of 410.263.8717. If you have any questions or need to contact any of our technicians and personnel, Cheri will be happy to take the message and have that person return the call immediately.
A seasoned 20 year veteran of the maritime industry, I grew up sailing Sunfish and Hobies on Barnegat Bay.
Around 1991, I decided to turn a hobby into a career performing maintenance, repairs and installations on both power and sail boats in and around the Annapolis area.
I am experienced and proficient in most current shipboard systems.
- College graduate
- ABYC Certified Standards
- Shipboard systems
- Raymarine Electronics
- DCV and ACV
- Dometic Sea Land Vacuflush Certified
- Raritan Marine Certified
- Winterization Certified
- Maxie Prop Certified
- Cutlas Bearing Replacement Certified
- PSS Shaft seal
- Tides Marine Sure Seal
Michael Lee Welsh from Chester, Maryland (the great Eastern shore) brings a wealth of talent and skill to Diversified Marine Services from the automotive and home construction industries.
Although an apprentice in training, Mike is an integral part of the advancement of our growth and vision.
Skill set: Structural and finish carpentry, fiberglass repairs and construction, custom mold making, gel coat repairs and matching, Awlgrip application and repair, renovations and electrical DC wiring.
Educated as a sound engineer and employed part time as a sound technician for several local bands, including the Friday night concerts at the Annapolis Towne Center in Annapolis, Maryland, Mike is able to offer Diversified Marine a unique mix of skill sets.
From complete de-construction and installation of cockpit flooring and support structures, to Awlgrip preparation and application for many sail and power vessels, to fiberglass re-construction and finish, Mike has displayed the attention to detail that compliments the staff at Diversified Marine.
Mike is scheduled to attend the Awlgrip Y PAC School for VOC compliant products this winter, at the warm location of Coco Beach, Florida and the Standards certification course of the American Boating and Yachting council to help Diversified Marine stay ahead of the ever changing advances in technologies, tooling, approved business practices and products.
We welcome Mike to the staff and look forward to his input and support.
The staff at DMS would like to welcome and introduce Ernest Abend into our vision of providing qualified – certified & experienced technicians to the maritime industry.
GOAL: Client – contractor relationship.
OBJECTIVE: Boat technician / Management.
- More than 15 yrs. Experience in boat construction, installation, and service.
- Able to efficiently install, troubleshoot, and repair all shipboard systems.
- Good organizational skills and the ability to manage all stages of a project.
- Good communication skills allow me to develop productive relationships with clients and co-workers.
- Solid work ethic, experience, and skill set, allow me to achieve quality results in a timely manner.
- Dettling Yacht Company, Denton MD 1995-2011
- Yacht Builder / Marine Technician , for premier builder of 51’ and 71’ motor yachts.
- Install and service all AC and DC electrical systems in accordance with ABYC Standards. Charging systems, invertors, gensets, 120/240 shore power, etc.
- Install, service, and interface electronic and navigational systems. NMEA literate. GPS, radar, VHF, chart plotters, mechanical systems monitors, etc.
- Install, service, and maintain all mechanical systems. Engines, transmissions, shafts, props, rudders, trim tabs, hydraulic steering, etc.
- Install, service, and maintain air conditioning and refrigeration systems. EPA certified.
- Install and service all fresh and raw water systems. Including water makers.
- Install deck hardware. Thru hulls and seacocks. Everything above and below waterline.
- Fabricate custom component mounting solutions using metal, fiberglass, composites, etc.
- Construct cabinetry and furniture using solid woods, plywood, composites, and laminates.
- Commission and sea trial all yachts and shipboard systems prior to delivery to owner.
Qualifications (including but not limited to):
- Hydraulic Theory, Maintenance, Troubleshooting and Repair
- Flexible Hose Maintenance and Repair Procedures
- Centrifugal Pump Theory, Maintenance, Overhaul, Troubleshooting and Repair
- Operation and Maintenance of De-watering and Firefighting Pumps
- Shaft Alignment Procedures
- Propulsion Shafting Seals
- Air Compressor Theory and Maintenance
- Electrical Theory, Wiring, Maintenance, Repair and Troubleshooting
- Trailer Maintenance and Repair
- Air Conditioning, Refrigeration Theory, and HVAC
- Outboard Motor, Maintenance, Tune-up and Troubleshooting
- Modernized Maintenance Systems and Tag-Out Procedures.
- Internal Combustion Engine, Maintenance, Overhaul, Casualty Control, and Troubleshooting
- Fuel/Oil, Engine Coolant, Hydraulic Oil and Lube Oil Testing
- Attended Mercury Marine’s Technical Service Class for Outboard EFI V6 and Four Stroke Outboard in Hayward, CA
- Attended Honda 225 V6 Outboard Maintenance and Repair Training in Orlando, FL
- Machinery Tech 3rd Class
- National Motor Lifeboat School – Cape Disappointment, WA
- Machinery Tech 2nd Class
- USCG Station Yaquina Bay – Newport, OR
- USCG Station Jones Beach – Freeport, NY
- USCGC Chena – Hickman, KY
- USCG Sector Baltimore – Curtis Bay, MD
- Performed Major Engine Maintenance and Repair.
- Performed Major Reduction Gear Maintenance and Repair.
Comfortable working in tight/confined spaces and aloft. Retired (Fleet Reserve) Cryptologic Technician (Maintenance) with 20+ years experience with high voltage, low voltage, copper and fiber cables. Certified class 5 conventional forklift operator and experienced aerial work platform operator.
BlackBox Network Services – Government Solutions 10/2012 – 6/2015
Herndon/Norfolk, VA – Worldwide support Engineering Technician-IV
- Installs and maintains communications network infrastructure, physical security infrastructure, intrusion detection systems, and electronic access control systems. Reads, understands, and utilizes blueprints, manufacturer’s documentation, and technical manuals to provide a quality installation to meet strict government specifications and client expectations.
Navy Information Operations Command Maryland – US Navy 01/2010 – 09/2012
Fort George G. Meade, MD – Command Safety Officer
- Served as the principal advisor to the Commanding Officer on all matters pertaining to Naval Occupational Safety and Health (NAVOSH) for an organization of almost 2,000 civilian and military personnel. Managed a full time staff of three and over 40 rotating departmental collateral duty Safety Petty Officers to meet all safety objectives. Lead investigator for over 60 mishaps, ranging from “slips, trips, and falls” to a motor vehicle fatality. Recognized by higher headquarters as the command program to emulate across the 10th Fleet.
White House Communications Agency – US Navy 12/2005 – 11/2009
Washington, DC – Communications System Technician Leading Petty Officer
- Directly responsible to provide instantaneous secure and non-secure voice communications and five minute secure and non-secure record (hard copy) message traffic to the President of the United States, the Vice President, the United States Secret Service, and others as directed. Qualified as a high-speed motorcade vehicle operator, mobile communications center supervisor, and communications watch officer for remote sites. Collateral duties when not performing Presidential missions included a) assisted the assigned flight crew with aircraft communications security equipment before flight, and with secure video teleconferences while airborne on Air Force Two; b) served as the Vice President’s SATCOM Radio Telephone Operator (RTO) while on the ground away from Washington, D.C.
Various assignments – US Navy 9/1992-11/2005
- A variety of training and operational duties both shore and sea, submarines and surface ships, stateside and overseas. Most of my career I was a Cryptologic Technician (Maintenance) or an Electronics Technician during the ill-fated attempt to kill the CTM rating.
- Over 2,730 hours of documented technical classroom training on installing, troubleshooting, repairing, and maintaining a wide variety of electronic systems.
- “Qualified in Submarines” and spent more than 14 combined months underwater, almost all of it as the sole technician for special equipment or training others to perform solo.
- Enlisted Surface Warfare Specialist. Led teams that provided electronic troubleshooting support to ships in size from aircraft carriers to destroyers.
- Spent more than 3 1/2 years on a TICONDEROGA-class cruiser maintaining my assigned “topside” electronic equipment; served as deputy Material Maintenance Management Coordinator (3MC) managing an average of 2,000 maintenance checks per week; hand selected by the Chief Engineer (CHENG) to run the Damage Control Petty Officer program which maintained all watertight and airtight doors and hatches, portable fire fighting equipment, and ventilation systems. Entrusted by CHENG with every engineering key except the main reduction gear access locks.
- Numerous personal, campaign, expeditionary, and unit awards.
- Gel coat – color matching and repair
- Boat Building & construction
- Bulkhead Installation
- Awlgrip application
- Awlcraft Application
- Alexseal Application
- Interlux coatings
- Pettit Product Application
- Dupont coatings
- Anti-fouling coatings
- Prop Speed Application
- Yacht Detailing
- Hargrove Custom Yachts
- Black Fin Yachts
- Marlin Yachts
- 10 years sailing and enjoying the bay
- Graduate of the honors university UMBC
- NEMA electronic installer certificate
5 Years Professional Experience:
All shipboard systems
I have been immersed in the marine industry for my entire life. When I was four years old, I moved on to a 44ft catamaran with my family of 7 and sailed to the Caribbean. While living in the Caribbean for 4 years, my dad made a point to teach me and my siblings how to fix just about anything on a boat. Since then I have been a sailing instructor and a yacht service/repair man in the Chesapeake Bay area.
I am a competitive keel boat racer on various boats throughout the Chesapeake and have done plenty of ocean cruising/racing. I am excited to be a part of the DMS crew to further refine my skills and to work on a broader range of vessels.
- ABYC Master Certified Technician
- Marine Electrical
- Analog and Digital Instrumentation Systems
- Autopilot and Navigation Systems
- Digital Data-Bus Systems
- Electrical, Mechanical, Shipboard Systems Proficient
- Project Management Professional, Project Management Institute
My family has been on the Severn River since the 1920’s. My Great Grandfather decided to buy a home in the area and we have been here ever since. He fell in love with the local waterways and that passion has trickled down through every generation since then. As long as I can remember I have been on or around boats in some way, shape, or form. And like most other lifelong boaters, I had to learn how to perform the necessary maintenance to keep them up and running.
I have working knowledge of various mechanical systems, engine repair, and hundreds of hours of refinishing under my belt. I’ve spent a great deal of time on the mechanical and refinishing aspect of boats in general. Because of which I am now competent at brightwork, light carpentry, refurbishing electrical systems, repairing fiberglass, detailing and paint correction, installation, tune-ups, general maintenance, and engine repair.
In 2014 I started working professionally in the maritime industry. I decided to turn a lifelong passion into a career. I am thrilled to be putting these skills to use at Diversified Marine Services. I am very excited to be a part of such a professional environment and am looking forward to growing my skills and working with the highly skilled staff that make up the company.
Our dedicated maintenance crew direct and manage the yacht maintenance department for Diversified Marine Services, Inc. and provide the following services:
- Compound and wax
- Stainless steel polishing
- Interior and exterior cleaning
- Carpet cleaning
- Bottom painting & Zinc replacement
- Teak cleaning and sealing
- Hardware removal and re-bedding
- Shrink wrapping
Instructed and trained in the maritime industry since 2005, the maintenance crew at Diversified Marine Svc. Inc. are consistently rated at the top among their peers.
Marine yacht services provided by Diversified Marine Services, Inc. utilizes the latest in yacht maintenance technology, tooling and material selection for the specific project.
Constant communication keeps the client informed from the initial haul-out, through the job order process, to the launch date.
If you are in need of any of the above maintenance items, please contact our office at 410.263.8717.